Family homeless after electrical fire claims home

A Canyon Lake family is homeless after an electrical fire destroyed its Startzville home on Thursday.

Chris Booker and Madonna Woods and their two children spent the weekend in the Holiday Inn in New Braunfels with assistance from the Red Cross and the Salvation Army.

"I just don't know where to begin," Woods said. "(The Salvation Army) gave me some vouchers for thrift stores and a credit card so I can get my son's medicines. The biggest issue is finding somewhere in Canyon Lake so I don't have to move my kids out of school."

The family was forced to evacuate its home on Sir Arthur Way after some electrical wiring behind the walls ignited. After attempts to extinguish the fire were unsuccessful, Canyon Lake Fire/EMS crews were called to the scene.

According to Lt. Jeff Schultz, the home was between 60 and 70 percent enveloped when crews arrived on the scene just after midnight.

Mutual aid from the Spring Branch Volunteer Fire Department was called, and crews were able to extinguish the blaze with large amounts of water and foam.

"It was in the walls," Woods said. "The wires started burning, and when I came out, I saw it burning through the walls and tried to put it out. I went back and forth trying, but it wouldn't go out. Chris threw the animals out the door and my kids went out bedroom windows, and the rest is history."

Despite an impressive 7-minute response time from local firefighting crews, the home was a total loss. The family did not have insurance.

Anyone interested in assisting the family can contact Ida Jacobs at (830) 899-5185.


 contact us

Subscribe   Get the Times Guardian delivered to your doorstep each week.
Advertise   We'll help you reach your customers in print or online.
News Tips   Submit story ideas or news tips.
Opinion   Send a letter to the editor.

Copyright © 2004 Times Guardian. All rights reserved.